We at Cougar Heating and Air Conditioning understand just how frustrating and inconvenient it is to have a problem with your household air conditioner. AC units are complex systems with a number of working parts, and that means that there are a variety of issues that can pop up. One common problem that can be a real pain is refrigerant leaking from the cooling system, and if you encounter this equipment issue in your Spokane, WA home, our technicians will be able to promptly fix it for you. When you notice that your air conditioner is under the weather, all you need to do is give our offices a call and let our team handle the rest. Before you know it, the refrigerant leak will be a thing of the past, and your AC unit will be back to healthy, efficient performance.
Signs That Your AC Unit Is Leaking Refrigerant
The quicker you realize that your AC unit is dealing with a refrigerant leak, the better off you’ll be. For one thing, you’ll be able to get it repaired promptly and minimize the amount of time you have to spend dealing with any negative effects. Plus, you’ll greatly reduce the chances of the problem turning into a more serious, more expensive issue. All of the following red flags are warning signs that your home’s air conditioner could be leaking refrigerant.
- Hissing or Bubbling Noises – Oftentimes, when refrigerant is leaking from an AC unit, it will result in strange noises emanating from the system’s evaporator coil. Usually, this will sound like hissing or bubbling, and it should be pretty unusual compared to the noises that the appliance typically makes when all is well.
- Frozen Evaporator Coil – When your air conditioner has a refrigerant leak, it typically results in the evaporator coil being unable to effectively absorb heat. That can lead to ice building up on the coil, which can, in turn, lead to leaking water if the ice thaws.
- Rising Energy Bills – One of the common effects of an AC refrigerant leak is longer cooling cycles. And when your cooling unit cycles for longer, it requires more electricity being used. If you notice that your monthly energy costs have inexplicably risen, it typically means that your air conditioner isn’t running smoothly, and that could be due to a problem with refrigerant leaking.
- High Household Humidity Levels – When an AC unit is regularly losing its refrigerant, it will not only struggle to cool your home down, but it will also have trouble controlling the humidity level. You may start to notice that the air around your living space suddenly feels heavier and more moist than it should.
Why Do AC Refrigerant Leaks Occur?
With most of the mechanical problems that AC units encounter, there are multiple potential causes. In most cases, it isn’t the fault of the homeowner, but it can still be beneficial to have an understanding of how these issues come about. With a refrigerant leak, there are a handful of reasons it could be happening with your household air conditioner.
- Significant wear and tear
- Factory defects with equipment
- Improper system installation
- Problem with unit’s connections or joints
Sometimes, a refrigerant leak will be unavoidable, but there are certain things you can do to reduce the odds of it happening to your cooling system. For one, going with contractors who are licensed, insured, and reputable is a good way to ensure that your AC unit is installed properly. It can also make a huge difference to regularly have your air conditioner tuned up to reduce wear and tear and catch any potential mechanical failures.
You deserve your home to be cool all summer long. Call us today at (509) 484-6420 for HVAC service needs!
Give Us a Call Today
If you have reason to believe that your home’s air conditioner is leaking refrigerant, don’t hesitate to give Cougar Heating and Air Conditioning a call. Our skilled, experienced cooling technicians will inspect your AC unit and determine the root of the issue. They’ll know exactly how to remedy the situation and get your cooling unit back to smooth, healthy operation so that you can enjoy a comfortable Spokane summer. When you work with us, you’ll be treated with respect, compassion, and dedication, and we won’t call it a day until you’re satisfied with the job. Our friendly staff is always available to answer your questions and get you set up with an appointment. To get the process started, all you need to do is give our offices a call.